Blog

Raw Food, Healthy Supplements, Advice, Cute Dogs & Maybe The Occasional Rant

Wednesday, April 01, 2015

Watch out this Easter! Chocolate is dangerous to your dog.

A new survey by Dogs Trust revealed that over 48 per cent of pet dogs have eaten chocolate intended for humans and over 5 per cent have become seriously ill from it.

So if your dogs are anything like Charlie then they’ll be superb at giving you the puppy eyes for handouts! Be sure to make sure everyone in the household knows not to give in when it comes to Chocolate this Easter as it’s one of the most common causes of dog poisoning.Chocolate contains a stimulant called theobromine (a bit like caffeine) that is poisonous to dogs. The amount of theobromide differs in the different types of chocolate (dark chocolate has the most in it).If you think your dog has eaten Chocolate then call your vet immediately for advice. They’ll ask you how much chocolate your dog has eaten and what his weight is as symptoms will vary dependent on how much he or she has managed to eat.

Theobromide mainly affects the heart, central nervous system and kidneys and symptoms will occur from 4-24 hours after your dog has eaten the chocolate. But don’t wait until they appear. Call the vet as they may need to induce vomiting to get rid of any remaining Theobromide in his gut.If your dog has eaten chocolate, you may see:

  • Vomiting (may include blood)
  • Diarrhoea
  • Restlessness and hyperactivity
  • Rapid breathing
  • Muscle tension, incoordination
  • Increased heart rate
  • Seizures
Definition of Puppy Eyes

Source

Comments

Post has no comments.

Post a Comment

Captcha Image

Dogrobes

The ultimate dog bathrobe.

Raw Dog Food

Premium raw dog food lovingly prepared by Benyfit Natural.

Turmerease

© Dogs About Town | Privacy Policy

Website design & build by Website Success